Opinion-Farmer Retirement

For neighbors that are not part of a larger organized community organization.
Becky

Opinion-Farmer Retirement

Post by Becky »

Original Post Made By: Facebook User Debra Sites Ozminski, in the Facebook Group: Stop Solar Farms
November 30, 2020

If you need to rent out your farms and land for solar farming to retire . As a responsible business owner you should have included retirement in your expenses. So you did not need to do solar farming as a means to retire and ruin the land and relationships with neighbors. Just The way I see it.
Becky

Re: Opinion-Farmer Retirement

Post by Becky »

Comments

Dale Frankhouser
It turns out in many locations that many were not even farming and had no intention of farming. Some of them inherited the property from a family member and rented out the land to farmers. Some claim they couldn't sell for enough, some claim none wanted to buy. Very hard to believe. Amish in particular are always looking for land to farm. No consideration of neighbors, town or county because there was no attachment. Attachment was $$ and that's fine. I wouldn't presume to say what someone should do with their investment. Those who have truly been farming and having a tough time of it and no family member who wants to continue -- they are in a bind and that is why WE the citizens need to support them through pressure on our local government to incentivize them to keep the AG land in farming. Hold them in the highest esteem. Covid alone has proved how very valuable farming is in a community with the ability to minimize food that must be 'trucked' into the community and being as independent and self-reliant as possible. We should be willing to do everything we can to reward those who choose to farm. They are truly our heroes. It is hard work. It is a tough life and there are no guarantees. Also appears to be why these solar sharks are there to attempt to take advantage of them and entice them into these leases. They could care less about the community. Again it is $$ and tax credits. Nothing more.
Becky

Post by Becky »

Debra Sites Ozminski
Thank you. I believe that. I have a tendency to get under peoples skin cause I am against solar fields. So I was TOLD by a farmer he needed to do this or sell to housing developer to retire. Well I know about Business management and self employment AND the big one grew up on a farm. That had farm hands. So aware you need to put away for your twilight years. To your point they should be held with high regard without them we have nothing. But from what I understand clean and green isn't enough for these farmers either. There's too much green $ signs in their eyes.
Becky

Post by Becky »

Megan Pearson
Solar corporations such as Caddis (one example, here in rural Edgefield SC) have simply found a loophole in regards to utilizing large tracts of land. It's hard for someone to say no to that much money when it is offered in a lease agreement. Profit is a HUGE motivator.
I blame government for not being more proactive in regulating where these facilities are placed. There is plenty of existing barren land for these things and there's absolutely NO excuse for clearing and mass grading forest/farmland in order to construct them. This is about money and greed, NOT "green" energy.
Becky

Post by Becky »

Debra Sites Ozminski
Put them in the desert. Along stretches of super highways where theres nothing for miles. Destroying this land in order to make green energy and your pocket green isn't right.
Becky

Post by Becky »

David Herman
What I find odd it how the developers seem to be able to find which land owners are not farming their own land. It seems like they are getting that information from local public officials, so the developers would know which land owners to approach.
Becky

Post by Becky »

Megan Pearson
David Herman
They very much so are. Edgefield has a non profit "Economic Development" committee making an absolute killing off of taxpayer monies.
The county pays this non profit for it's services. This non- profit is supposed to seek out industry for the county. Odd, how that works. Industry doesn't belong in residential areas, but here we are.
Becky

Post by Becky »

David Herman
We have a non-profit that also invited and worked with the solar developer. The real bad part is members of this non-profit are also county commissioners and just got reelected.
Becky

Post by Becky »

Megan Pearson
David
what state are you in?
It's infuriating, the back door deals that go on. I am so tired of fighting nonsense such as this.
Becky

Post by Becky »

Dale Frankhouser
We are falling for the trap, if they HAVE TO put them somewhere, put them somewhere else buying into the concept that they are good for us anywhere and they are not.

Return to “Neighbors Against Solar Farms”