Property Appraisal

Matilda

Property Appraisal

Post by Matilda »

Original Post Made By: Facebook User Renee Marie, in the Facebook Group: Stop Solar Farms
October 26, 2020

For those of you living near a projected facility... are you getting your houses appraised before construction or before the appraisers even catch wind of the project?
Matilda

Re: Property Appraisal

Post by Matilda »

Nicholas Hardesty
We had ours appraised about a year ago. Which was before all of the talk really got stirred up.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Nicholas Hardesty
the project near you has started?
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Nicholas Hardesty
Renee Marie
no it hasn’t. They are at the core drilling process right now.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Denise Spooner
As a licensed real estate broker who is fighting solar in my County (Madison County, IN), I have advised all home owners to get their homes appraised right before the project is built. Until it’s built and there, an appraiser will not be able to give or take away value. Since markets can change from year to year, - and since our world is in a crazy time and we may be facing an economic decline, it would be best to do it just before they build it.

Then once built, we need to monitor all home sales within a 3 mile perimeter.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Denise Spooner
very helpful!
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Denise Spooner
I do want to add that home values have been hurt by just the proposed project. It’s not even here yet, and people have wanted to sell out & move away. Buyers have been deterred from buying as they don't want to live near a solar plant, or be surrounded by one. We do have proof of one that did close, but Buyers testified they paid $117, but it appraised for $140K, that’s a 16.5 decline and buyer stated they wouldn’t pay anymore for fear of the values going down. So we need to watch the activity on all land and residential sales when solar is proposed. And try to warn potential buyers.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Robert Fleming
Denise Spooner
Moira Killian Davis
maybe something we should consider
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Samantha Main
Thats a good idea.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Julie Aikens Langan
Yes - I most certainly had our land appraised. There will be an issue, if this get passed, as we will be in full view, from across the valley, of the entire array. Us and a whole bunch of other property owners will have our scenic views ruined !
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Julie Aikens Langan
when is construction starting?
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Julie Aikens Langan
oh I saw you said it has to get passed. Where are you located?
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Julie Aikens Langan
Renee Marie
Upstate New York. Upstate is getting inundated and the power isn't necessarily staying in the state. The Town Board is wrestling with the decisions and dealing with threatening litigation, which is what the high powered solar companies are adept at!
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Terri Carlson
We are having trouble getting our property appraised. Every realtor we've contacted have said no, conflict of interest. Ugh.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Terri Carlson
that is unreal.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
What if you had to sell it?!?$
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Julie Aikens Langan
I tried a couple before I found one. I also specifically indicated I wanted pictures of the "view" included, not just an aerial view of the property itself. I have an appraisal with scenic views included which is very much part of the value of the property.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Terri Carlson
Many of the realtors are also farmers who have land in some of the upcoming solar sites. Our county board is just a bunch of farmers.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Julie Aikens Langan
Terri Carlson
I'm so sorry. I do believe we need farmers but.... Recently there was a hearing on an Article 10 siting in upstate New York. Many people called in including the farmer whose land was involved. His son-in-law too. They were saying how hard they worked, 7 days a week, no time for family, no time off. Therefore they deserved to be able to do what they wanted to with their land. They needed to lease it to solar. Well, guess what. I've worked 7 days a week for the last 38 years - fourteen hour days, full time job for the health insurance, helping my husband in his 7 days a week, 24 hour a day job. That doesn't mean that I have the right to ruin everyone's property around me by siting solar on hundreds of acres of my land. I wish I had the answers but I'm sorry for your troubles.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Terri Carlson
Julie
I know! We all work hard. My husband's family has land in Nebraska, and they have to irrigate all summer. The farmers here have it easy. The soil is rich and black.

Return to “Property Values”