Explanation or Insight Needed

Matilda

Explanation or Insight Needed

Post by Matilda »

Original Post Made By: Facebook User David Herman, in the Facebook Group: Stop Solar Farms
October 17, 2020

Explanation or insight needed

While working on an article, I ran across a statement I could use some input on.

The statement is about a projected solar farm and the developer said,
All told, the first phase alone would represent somewhere in the neighborhood of $40 to $70 million, with the second phase increasing that a further $17 to $45 million.
(My question is, what is this money? Is it the cost of construction, tax breaks wanted, Federal money paid to the state, future taxable income tax paid by lease holders, money paid to residents, etc. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge as to what this loosely explained statement represents?)
Matilda

Re: Explanation or Insight Needed

Post by Matilda »

Zonda Weatherford Stead
Denise Spooner
that article on taxes and crop land use might be a good piece of information to help explain this. If my foggy brain is remembering that information right.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

David Herman
Thanks Zonda, I scan it and see if it will clarify things for me.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Todd McCauslin
With our proposed 90 million dollar NextEra project, it is only viable because of the 30 million in federal tax subsidies leftover from the Obama era, and another 20 million is state tax credits...
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

David Herman
Thanks Todd. I just have a gut feeling this is all one big scam of getting tax payers to cover our own demise.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Denise Spooner
What they are talking about is the amount of money that it will cost to build the project. But the way they say it, is so it makes all the people believe that it’s an “investment” in our/your county. Example: “Invenergy, the developer of Lone Oak Solar Farm, will be a $110 million investment in Madison County helping the county, especially the school systems.”

They say it like it’s an improvement and a fantastic money-maker for the county. In reality, these monstrosities will cost the county millions over the life of the project.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

David Herman
Thank you Denise. I always appreciate your expertise being shared with the rest of us. Keep up the good work.

Return to “Solar Energy Information”