Lawsuit Against Solar Farm Property Owner

Save Our Farmland

Post by Save Our Farmland »

Original Post Made By: Facebook User David Herman, in the Facebook Group: Stop Solar Farms
October 7, 2020

I can not reveal a lot of details YET, but I was involved in a conversation today where one of the individuals present announced he/she will be moving forward on filing a lawsuit against multiple neighbors that agreed to lease their land for use as a solar farm.

What details I can disclose involves a property owner in the rolling hills of Spencer County, Indiana that owns and lives on land that has been in the family for many decades and knows the history of the land going back more then 70 years.

The lawsuits involves multiple neighbors that have been responsible for changes to the terrain on their property, thus allowing some of the land owned by the plaintiff, to become flooded, during and after heavy rains.

Since solar panels WILL catch rainwater and allow it to run off in a straight line, row after row, this WILL increase the flooding on neighboring land, the plaintiff decided to sue the neighboring property owners, instead of the solar company or elected officials.

BUT, it doesn’t stop there. There are also multiple lawsuits being planned from this county, and some of them will include the solar developer, county council members, a local economic development company and even state officials.

So, as I am allowed to publish additional information, I will be sharing it. Hopefully if those responsible for this crap are made to pay, it just might make some land owners and county officials think twice before caving in to the dollar signs offered by solar developers.
Save Our Farmland

Re: Lawsuit Against Solar Farm Property Owner

Post by Save Our Farmland »

Jennifer Knebel
Pulaski County's lawsuits have begun. . . And the more we all educate ourselves, the more we are certain there will be many more to follow. Industrial solar and the process by which they are shoving it through without taking sufficient time to perform due diligence, SHOULD be met with resistance and litigation.
Mary

Post by Mary »

Samantha Main
Are there any links to the lawsuits yet please? I'd like to reference this action in a post I'm writing about increased flooding from solar farms.
Mary

Post by Mary »

David Herman
Samantha Main
I am not ready to reveal too much about my case yet, but what I can tell you is that my case will be a bit unique for multiple reasons.

1: The new owner of the property that joins my land, removed a “dry dam” that caused excessive runoff to cause erosion and flooding on my land.

I have photographs of my land being flooded before any construction has taken place or any solar panels have been installed.

I also had the County Surveyor come look at my property and the ruts caused by the runoff that resulted from the removal of the dry dam.

#2: My new neighbor had “some Federal Government program tied into the Agricultural Department” help pay for new drainage tile, rock and labor involving the installation of new drainage from his land into a extra large drainage ditch that I have photographs of overflowing, (prior to any new drainage tiles being installed,) without telling the Ag Department he had signed a lease allowing a solar developer to convert the farm land into an Industrial Solar Development.
#3: Some parcels of land close to my home that are proposed for development, are currently listed or are next to land that is listed as part of a “Flood Plain”

#4: The fencing they propose to install on all four sides of my property, (except for my driveway, which is ¼ mile long,) will prevent local wildlife (deer) from gaining access to the ponds I have created on my land, thus eliminating a source of drinking water for them.

#5: My wife is handicapped and if I am not home and she is here alone, she may not be able to evacuate our home in the event of a fire involving the solar panel components.

#6: I chose to sue the land owner instead of the solar company because it is easier to find an attorney to represent you in a property rights case, plus the property owner does not have access to full time attorneys or millions of dollars, like the developers due.

#7: I am also suing a town secretary & board member that refused to allow me and others to view all of the documentation in the solar proposal, prior to the town voting to approve the solar project.

I hope these ideas will help inspire and motivate others to fight back.
Mary

Post by Mary »

Terri Carlson
Looking forward to hearing more, as this could be us in a couple of years.

Return to “Lawsuits”