Can a new property owner break a lease signed by a former property owner?

What rights will any future property owners have.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Original Post Made By: Facebook User David Herman, in the Facebook Group: Stop Solar Farms
October 9, 2020

What happens when someone wants to buy a farm, tand finds out the current owner has signed a lease to have a solar farm installed?

I understand it will depend on how the lease is written, but I wonder if a new owner can break that lease, if they don’t want solar panels on the land.

The same type of question could arise with anyone that inherits a piece of land. Would they have the authority to break a lease?

BTW, I have discovered a case where someone signed a lease, then changed their mind and took back “part” of the land they had originally promised. But that was before the construction started.

I am currently transcribing a recording taken this morning, during a discussion of multiple lawsuits. So there will be many more questions posted as I get through this recording. Hopefully, others, especially with experience in real estate deals, will have some insight, in spit of not being lawyers.
Matilda

Re: Can a new property owner break a lease signed by a former property owner?

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
In PA, under the lease, the owner has no option to sell.
But the solar developer does have the option to buy out the land owner. Hold onto your land. Even if we are next to solar farms, my hope is our land will be valuable for our kids, because the rest of the farms will be toxic solar wastelands.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

David Herman
Thank you for sharing the policies in PA. We will pass that info along to others. I don't understand why any property owner would lease their land for 20 to 40 years and not allow their children or even the county to sell the land, if/when the original owner dies.Some things are no longer logical, when it comes to the energy industry.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Dale Frankhouser
David Herman
Because our elected officials allow those who are to benefit - be it solar or any other entity - to write the bills that are made law. Happened right here in Adams County. One of the townships accepted a decommissioning plan that was WRITTEN by the solar developer and made it law. In turn another township incorporated that wording into their solar ordinance. Ever think anyone in government is really protecting the best interests of the residents/taxpayers is fool hardy.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Yeah I should reiterate... in the leases I’ve heard offered to the local farmers. Thanks to dictator Wolf and his executive order to put PA in the greenhouse gas initiative.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Dale Frankhouser
Pressure needs to be put on those in the state house to over-ride his executive order before it destroys their districts
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Who do we need to stand up to it? Forgive my ignorance of state govt!
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
I keep writing the White House praying Trump could stop it somehow.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Dale Frankhouser
Renee Marie
Delegates & Senators for our districts. They are mute on the issue and we're letting them get away with it. Townships are saying they are forced because of mandate from Gov - but the shutdown was also a mandate and federal judge said was unconstitutional.
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Renee Marie
Dale Frankhouser
it’s his ‘greenhouse gas initiative’, right?
Matilda

Post by Matilda »

Dale Frankhouser
Renee Marie
He can't do much about state. If he gets re-elected, more chance to end their tax credits from federal government.
lbruning

Post by lbruning »

Onyx Solar, a 2MW solar power plant at 726 Alexander Road, Duanesburg, Schenectady County New York.
Town talk is that.....property owner signed lease, died, person who inherited land complied with lease, solar power plant constructed
Information on the project
https://duanesburgneighbors.com/2020/04 ... l-23-2020/
Schenectady County Clerk will have the lease documents - landex website
https://www.landex.com/webstore/jsp/car ... Search.jsp

Return to “Rights of Future Property Owners”