Step 4: Setting Your Own Name Servers

Fighting Back Through Uniting Websites
FTW
Site Admin

Step 4: Setting Your Own Name Servers

Post by FTW »

Now it is time to point your domain name to your webserver.

In order to do this, you should log into the service where you purchased your domain name, such as your Go Daddy account if that is where you purchased your name.
manage_domains2.jpg
Once you are inside your domain name service, look for a link where you can “manage” your domain names and then another link that will point you to your “Name Servers.”

The hardest part of moving your names servers is trying to find out WHERE the link is, within the website of the company you purchased your domain name from, because they don’t want you to move your name from their servers.

Depending on your setup and your hosting company, there may be 3 or 4 name servers, but there can never be less then two of them and the reason for this is so that if one server goes down, there has to be a second one that will carry the load.

Once you find the correct area where you can change your name servers, you will need to find the email you received from your hosting company and it will contain “several” name servers. They typically will look like the following.
nameservers.jpg
ns1.xxxxxx.hostingcompanyname.com
ns2.xxxxxx.hostingcompanyname.com

The xxxxxx will vary as to content and the number of characters, but it will usually be a series of letters and numbers, depending on the “address” of the server you are assigned to. But you should be able to copy and past the “name server” address from your email and into the form on the domain registry website.

Be sure to confirm you have the accurate information or the general public will NOT be able to access your server.

One you have correctly entered your name server address into your domain registry, the claims are that it may take from one to three days for ALL of the servers around the globe to correctly point to your server.

Generally, I can “ping” my server within seconds from the time I change my name servers through Go Daddy, however I don’t usually check to see how long it take for servers in other countries to point to my server, especially if it is a new website. However, if you ever change hosting companies and move your entire website over to a new server, you want to make sure that your site is not down for days, so speed is real important. But I will discuss how to deal with the transfers of an existing site in a later post.

I should also address the usage of the word “ping.” Basically, since I use Linux, I can ping any computer through my “terminal” but I don’t know how Windows, Mac or android users can do it. At one time, Windows users could use the “dos” screen to ping a website, but that was over a decade ago since I tried it.

However if your computer or phone does not have access to ping, there are websites available that will conduct the ping for you and this is the type of information you will get. This is a good tool if your Internet seems slow OR if someone tells you that your website is slow.
ping1.jpg

Return to “Building Your Own Websites”